Searching for a way to open a PST file in Outlook 2016 without password? In this, write up we will learn the best methods to remove password protection from PST file.
Outlook PST files contain sensitive mailbox data, thus users must use password protection to protect them. Sometimes, you want to remove the encryption but you have forgotten the PST file password. Why Should We Open a PST File That Is Password Protected?
Relax. Here, we are explaining different easy and reliable ways to open a PST file in Outlook 2016 without password. You can choose any relevant technique.
Why Do We Need to Open a Password-protected PST File in Outlook 2016?
In this blog section, we discussed many reasons why user may remove password from an Outlook PST file. These are the explanations for this claim:-
- when someone forgets the password to their Outlook data file in this case Resetting or deleting the password may work for you.
- Unable to view the PST file that is password-protected and shared through other platforms.
- Also, In order to import an encrypted data file into Outlook users must provide a password.
Method 1: Use pst19upg.exe Inbuilt Feature to Open an Outlook PST File
The pst19upg.exe is an inbuilt utility provided by Microsoft with Outlook 2003 and previous versions. The main purpose of this utility is to upgrade the Outlook PST file to version 19. However, during the procedure, it automatically disables the password protection from the Outlook PST file.
- Close Microsoft Outlook on your local computer.
- After that, create a replica of the PST file before continuing the step.
- Now, launch the Inbox Repair Tool on the Outlook PST file that you have copied and choose the Repair button.
- Then, enter the path to pst19up and the name of the PST file on the command line by pressing Windows + R cmd. Press the Enter key.
- In the next step, you can create a copy of the PST file with the name filename.psx.
- After that, Rename the original file in Outlook PST to avoid confusion.
- In the command prompt, again, you need to enter pst19upg,th of the PST file (filename.psx).
- After that, You will get a new PST file without a password.
- Finally, you can open this unlocked PST in MS Outlook.
Method 2: Unlock Password Protected Outlook Data File
This method helps you to remove or recover password from PST file and you can easily open a PST file in Outlook 2016 without password. So, to retrieve the password from the PST file, you have to follow these below-listed steps to Unlock password protected PST file:-
- First, open MS Outlook on your Windows machine.
- After that, choose the file tab.
- In the next step, click on the Account settings button and select the Account settings option.
- After that, click on the Data File option to decrypt the desired file.
- Then, tap on the Data file tab and click on the settings option.
- Now, click on the Change Password option to change your password.
- In the next step, you need to add your old password and leave the other fields empty.
Finally, click on the OK button to remove password from PST file.
Method 3: An Alternative Method to Open a PST file in Outlook 2016 without password
After taking into consideration of the aforementioned disadvantages, it is advisable to choose a secure solution. Additionally, the manual method is only useful if you can recall your previous password. Because of this, we came up with a solution that allows you to change the password in accordance with your needs and remove the password from the PST file. The SysTools PST Password Remover Tool will be the best solution to retrieve old passwords and reset or remove them as well. Moreover, this application is compatible with all versions of the Windows OS.
How to unlock password-protected PST file – step-by-step guidance
Go through these below-listed steps to open a PST file in Outlook 2016 without password:
- In the first step, Download, Install and Run this utility on your local computer.
- Then, choose Add File or Folder(s) option to browse your files in the system.
- After adding the (.pst) files, Click on the OK button.
- In the next step, you can view the status of the added PST files.
- Lastly, hit the Remove Password button to unlock the password-protected PST file.
The Final Verdict
In this article, we have discussed, there are many reasons why users may want to remove password from PST file. For this, we have mentioned different ways to open a PST fil ein Outlook 216 without password. But, after considering the drawbacks of the manual method it is advised that you should use the alternative solution that we have described in this following article.